Boise State: Heavy 1st Half Favorites Vs. Marshall
The No. 24 Broncos are coming off a comeback win against Florida State in their opener
Marshall at Boise State
Friday, September 6, 9:00pm EST
BetQL Rating: ★★★★½ (1st Half Broncos -7)
- Boise State enters Week 2 coming off a comeback 36-31 win over Florida State, while Marshall walloped Virginia Military Institute 56-17 in their opener.
- Marshall returns eight offensive starters this season, which is more than Boise State’s six. Meanwhile, the Broncos have brought back seven defensive regulars, while the Thundering Herd have six returning from 2018.
The Thundering Herd currently have the third-best odds to win Conference USA in 2019 with +450 odds, according to DraftKings.
Marshall is coming off a big Week 1 victory, but Boise State is a much more challenging opponent on the road. Last season, the Thundering Herd were 3-2 in true road games, while also defeating South Florida in the Gasparilla Bowl, which served as a de facto home game for the Bulls. Head coach Doc Holliday is now in his 10th season with Marshall, and is coming off his second-consecutive winning season with the Thundering Herd in 2018.
During Marshall’s win over VMI last week, redshirt sophomore quarterback Isaiah Green threw four touchdown passes. Green is a preseason all-conference pick after throwing for over 2,200 yards and 14 touchdown passes in 2018.
The Broncos enter Week 2 ranked No. 24 in the nation following their big comeback win against Florida State. Boise State won 36-31 and didn’t let the Seminoles score in the second half after making some adjustments.
Head coach Bryan Harsin and his team are traditionally great early in the season, and have lost just four games in the opening month since he took over in 2014. Their last loss in the first four weeks came against Washington State in 2017, a 47-44 triple-overtime defeat. In Week 1, the Broncos were led by quarterback Hank Bachmeier, who threw for 407 yards and a touchdown. Meanwhile, running back Robert Mahone rushed for 142 yards and two touchdowns in Boise State’s win over Florida State.
What Does The BetQL Dashboard Say?
Boise State is a ★★★★½ first half spread (-7) bet, according to BetQL’s model. After last week’s second-half offensive explosion and the lessened quality of opponent, the Broncos should get off to an early lead and roll in this matchup.
- Since taking over at Boise State, head coach Bryan Harsin is 15-4 during the first month of the season. Additionally, Harsin has lost just once during the first two weeks of a season (2017 - 47-44 against Washington State).
- Boise State is 1-0 in their lone previous meeting against Marshall, a 28-24 win back in 1994.
- The Broncos have lost just three home games at Albertsons Stadium since 2016, going 17-3 during that span.
- Meanwhile, Marshall was 3-2 in road games last season, including a 28-25 win against C-USA opponent Florida International.